Google Webmaster Tools is one of the most important tools available online that lets you rank in Google’s Search Engine. It also helps you in analyzing your site performance by providing graphical and textual reports about:
- Search Analytics
- Crawl Errors
- Links to your site
- Index Status
- Blocked Resources
- Crawl Errors
- Crawl Stats
- Security Issues etc
In my previous post I had talked about What is Google Webmaster Tools and Its Features. This post will describe you the steps on how to add your site to Google Webmaster Tools, followed by the recommendations by Google on how to get better rankings in their search engine, that will eventually lead to more and more traffic on your website.
Before moving ahead, if you want to check if your site is already indexed in search engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing read this.
How to add your site to Google Webmaster Tools using Yoast SEO plugin?
Though there are a number of methods available to add your site in Google Webmaster Tools, but the most easiest of them is by using “Yoast SEO” Plugin (formerly known as WordPress SEO by Yoast).
Yoast SEO is one of the recommended plugins for every new WordPress user to optimize your site for the search engines.So to submit your site in Google Webmaster Tools, you need to have this plugin installed.
Following are the steps you need to perform to do the submission successfully:
- Go to google.com/webmasters/tools/ and sign in with your google account. After signing in, add your website’s URL and hit the “ADD A PROPERTY” button.
- On the next screen, you will be asked to verify the ownership of the website you are adding. Click on “Alternate methods” tab to obtain a meta tag which you can then add to your WordPress site.Get the code. You will want to use the HTML tag under the Alternative Method. Only copy the code that is in the parenthesis after content, as per the image below.
- Log in to your WordPress website. From the left hand side panel, click on a menu titled ‘SEO’.
- The ‘SEO’ settings will expand providing you additional options. Click on ‘General’.
- Click on the ‘Webmaster Tools’ tab and add the code under ‘Google Search Console’. Click ‘Save Changes’.
- Head back to Google Search Console and click “Verify”. If you have done everything correctly you will see a success message from Webmaster as shown below.
SEO Information from Google Webmaster Guidelines
Google recommends the following to get better rankings in their search engine:
- Make pages primarily for users, not for search engines. Don’t deceive your users or present different content to search engines than you display to users, a practice commonly referred to as “cloaking.”
- Make a site with a clear hierarchy and text links. Every page should be reachable from at least one static text link.
- Create a useful, information-rich site, and write pages that clearly and accurately describe your content. Make sure that your <title> elements and ALT attributes are descriptive and accurate.
- Use keywords to create descriptive, human-friendly URLs. Provide one version of a URL to reach a document, using 301 redirects or the rel=”canonical” attribute to address duplicate content.